Monday, February 4, 2008

The Truth Behind "Plugging In"

Only since beginning this media course have I realized how much I depend on technology and how quickly it is evolving. As a consumer who expresses only the most fundamental technological knowledge, I never thought of myself as being dependent on things that are incapable of conversing and emoting feeling. My ideas began to shift when the way I use my iPod was brought to my attention. I am rarely found without headphones in my ears. It’s a funny afterthought, but I even depend on my music to walk to class. I like being connected on my way across campus as it relieves stress, gives me energy or just puts me in a good mood. For those few minutes, I become immersed in my own world. Such dependency on technology can influence the way we behave and interact with others. By constantly being “plugged in,” I am withdrawing myself from my surroundings and ceasing all communication with others. Where I may once have taken the opportunity to meet and talk with someone new, I am now content to remain connected to my music.

The same type of dependency and influence is seen with such advances as the cell phone or the blackberry. Ironically, these devices, meant to enhance communication, may actually inhibit it by causing users to remove themselves from the actions of others. This class is already forcing me to analyze the terms by which I live each day. Now that I am aware of my technological dependence, am I required to make a change?

No comments: